Saturday, June 25, 2022

Fiveleaf Akebia

This may be hard to believe.  I planted this vine more than ten years ago and this is the first year it has bloomed when I am at the garden.  I must have missed it so many times. Over the years there were a couple of leaves here and there but never any blooms. At least none that lasted for any length of time. Is this normal?  I have no idea.



 Pretty obvious where it gets it name!

 

It was a surprise this past week when it started blooming, and lots of blooms!!  It is planted here in the Asian Patio Fountain Garden and is perfect for the over-all “atmosphere” of that area.  So happy to see that it has finally come into taking its rightful place in that area.  Love it.

 

Buddha in the garden




Asian Garden Lantern

Though it was finished blooming in just over two weeks, the leaves will continue to add that special “feeling” to the patio!   

 


Asian Patio Fouuntain



 

Some  information on the Akebia vine:

 

Chocolate vine (Akebia quinata), also known as five leaf akebia, is a highly fragrant, vanilla scented vine that is hardy in USDA zones 4 through 9. This deciduous semi-evergreen plant reaches its mature height of 15 to 20 feet (4.5-6 m.) rapidly and produces beautiful lilac flowers from May through June. Since the chocolate vine growth rate is so fast, it makes an excellent cover for arbors, trellises, pergolas, or fences. Growing chocolate vine produces edible seedpods that taste similar to tapioca pudding. 

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. Greetings from "orvokki".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muy interesante, no la conocía. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too found it interesting after finally seeing the blooms!

      Delete
  3. It's a very beautiful plant, and I do not know this plant at all. Pretty color too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw it so many years ago, I just had to have it! It has taken many years for me to finally see the blooms - I like it!

      Delete
  4. It's a beautiful plant with beautiful blooms! I didn't realize it was hardy to zone 4! Hmmm...another plant to consider...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are interesting blooms! How did the "Fling" go last week? As I mentioned to you that was my week for moving out of UW back home. Let me know if you post any photos of that experience. Would love to view them.

      Delete
    2. I do agree. It is a beautiful bloom - interesting too! How did the "Fling" go last week? As I had mentioned earlier, I was moving out of UW so I could not take part. Let me know if you post photos of the experience. Would love to see them!

      Delete