Saturday, July 8, 2023

Ryan Nature Preserve - Hike

Took a nature hike this week at the Ryan Nature Preserve and Park just a couple of miles from the gardens here on Lake Michigan. Have hiked that area a number of times in all seasons, but never did it in the middle of summer.




Lots of green here and there.  That is what I had expected. The foliage is really doing well, not a lot of blooming flowers now as there were in the Spring nor the colored leaves seen in Autumn.


This is the May Apple plant,
below is the May Apple








Just an opportunity to get out after many really hot and humid days.  Nice walking a number of miles, very very quite in the woods and as I said earlier – lots of green.

 

Beautiful blue on the fly.




Here I think someone drove a little far off the road!





Interesting moth.
 

 

 

15 comments:

  1. Lovey hike! The ferns is so beautiful. The greenery is very pretty, and no need for flowers there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marit, I think you are correct. There is no need for flowers here at this time. The greenery is pretty in itself. I like the ferns too! These were pretty tall about 4 feet.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Green is great for relaxing. I have read that green and the blue of water are both relaxing for the human mind. I think that is true.

      Delete
  3. Really green! May Apple, never seen before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, I have no idea if the May Apples are edible or not, even as a kid I thought they were interesting maybe because of their. name!

      Delete
  4. Bello colorido verde acaparando la atención, así como los insectos que los visitan.

    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus, Green is a soothing color for the human eye. It was a very relaxing hike in that preserve. Thought I could use a little mental relaxation!

      Delete
  5. Todo precioso, la polilla me encantó. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a number different. moths in this area, some very large!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely place to hike. Wonder if that May apple is edible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haddock, I don't know if they are edible or not. I will check that our on the web.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. I can tell you that you would enjoy the walk as much as I did. Nice relaxing quiet place just to be.

      Delete
  9. I checked a number of articles on the web - the whole plant is poisonous, except to apple when yes and ripe - but not the seeds, they too are poisonous. Caution would be my word to you or any interested in eating the apple.

    ReplyDelete