Sunday, July 21, 2024

Hybridized Day Lilies - - Now blooming in the Gardens at Waters East

In this posting are a few photos of the latest day lilies now blooming which were hybridized here at the Gardens at Waters East in the summer of 2020.  Planted in the summer of 2021.  It takes three to four years for all of them to begin blooming. As you can see from the years, it takes a long time before I see exactly what I have created.  Patience is a virtue here! 

JC#1.1

JC#wall.8

JC#4.10

JC#4.9

JC#4.6

JC#3.3

JC#2.5

JC#1.3

JC#1.1

JC#4.2

JC#4

JC#3

JC#2.3

JC#3.5

JC#3.4

JC#1

JC#3.3

EF#1.2

EF#1.3

EF#3

EF#2.1

EF#1.4 

 

A surprise bloom this week. The following daylily was part of the group that was the most recent to be hybridized.  It was hybridized in the summer of 2021, planted 2022 and has already bloomed.

 

JC#10.1

 

Normally it would not bloom until next summer 2025 (three years after planting). Maybe it came early because of the warmer than usual winter we had plus lots of rain in Spring.  None of the other seeds I planted at the same time (2021) show any sign of possible blooms.

 

A special note:  I gave away to friends a couple hundred of daylily seeds from this same (2021) hybridizing session.  I will have to check with those people to see if they have any already blooming one year earlier like I do here in the gardens.

 

I decided after that session of hybridizing in 2021 that enough is enough. I have been hybridizing daylilies for 20 years and it is time to move on. Time now to enjoy seeing in summers the more than 600 plants I have created.






Here are only a few of the many day lilies hybridized over the last 20 years.

 If your go back through past postings you will find many of them.

 ( posted on 8/10.12.  8/2/15.  8/3/15.  8/4/15.  11/28/16.  12/27/16.  2/15/20.  2/17/20.  2/20/20.  7/28/21.  9/10/22.  9/26/22.    Plus many posted in among other photos on past postings.)

 

  

Enjoy











 

 

 

 

 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, you have an amazing collection! They look so beautiful massed together on your hills. I have a few, too, and a couple are similar to some of yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today once again there are so many blooming as I type. But really enough is enough, time to try something new --- I think!!!

      Delete
  2. WOW this variety of blossoms is gigantic, you have achieved something special.

    Hugs
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is true. There are hundreds of dallies blooming today as I type. Looks great but once again enough is enough. Time to try something new.

      Delete
  3. It's an amazing collection! You are an artist of hybridization!
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an interesting hobby. I know the parents of every one I hybridized. Not only the parents but the grandparents, the great grandparents and in some cases the great - great grandparents. I have been very detailed in my records. I think need a life!!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful!! Glad to be here in your shadow 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remind me of the poppy seeds come later in August. Leaving the gardens grow wild this summer - looks a little "trash"y but there are so many plants reproducing, GREART!

      Delete
  5. Me encantan estos lirios, tengo alguno igual. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have soooooooo many. That is why it is time to stop hybridizing! Hopefully I will find a number of garden people to take some for their home gardens - FREE.

    ReplyDelete